Sunday 27 January 2013

Windows 8...problem, solution, problem, solution

After 24 hours of failed attempts getting Windows 8 to install on my new laptop, it has finally decided to copy all the files onto the hard drive...with the drivers. I will come back to this post once I've tested it more thoroughly.

Update:

A bit of a delay. It took me some time to get Windows working exactly the way I wanted it to. The changes (in my opinion) were minimal, it's just a matter of keeping an open mind. Windows have started to focus around the whole idea oh synchronizing and maintaining online accounts with all your preferences and being able to move your settings and Apps from one PC to the next. To clarify, the Windows 8 interface (for the average user) revolves around Apps and a store, much like Apple's idea of the iPhone / iPad / iPod store.
It's hard to say whether this step is something worth their while. As technology, especially, Operating Systems have developed, I have noticed a pattern; the newer the version, the more redistricted I am. Less and less focus seems to go on the the advanced UI and more onto making things simple...

I could go into a whole debate of making things easy for people not willing to learn but I will leave that for another chapter.

To summarize:

My current setup:

PC 1:

Fedora Core 18 - x64
6 GB Ram, Intel Dual Core, 2.1 GHZ, 500 GB Hard-Drive

This computer is the foundation of the network I have at home. It's duty is to monitor the traffic coming in & out. It also has a 3 TB Hard-Drive attached which serves as the houses media center. The computer also acts as a streaming media server for the local network.

PC 2:

Windows 8 Pro - x64
6 GB RAM, Intel core i7 @ 2.65GHZ, 500 GB Hard-Drive, Intel HD Graphics

This is my main work PC. It has been setup to allow me to stay up to date with the latest programming and technology development. I have stripped Windows 8 down to the core, in order to allow more RAM and processing power to be assigned to compiling and testing of software.

PC 3:

Gaming PC, let the specs speak for itself:


CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
CPU Overclocking: 4.3Ghz - Moderate Overclock
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Loki SDS963
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX2
RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus
PSU: 500W Xigmatek


No comments:

Post a Comment